The Congregational Church came into existence as far back as 1659 and was a leading community among the Independents in the time of the Commonwealth, numbering 145 members. It is believed that the first members worshipped in Haberdashers Hall, for it wasn't until 1694, under the leadership of the third minister, John Howe, that the congregation moved into a meeting house of its own in Silver Street in the city of London.
(Silver Street Church)
In 1808 the Church was considerably enlarged, but it was discovered soon after, in 1840, that the Church was found to be unsafe and another site had to be found. This was achieved in 1842, when the new Church opened in Falcon Square under the grand title "The Silver Street Congregational Church, Falcon Square."
(Falcon Square Facade)
Ministry continued at Falcon Square until the turn of the twentieth century, when it became evident that owing to the changing character of the surroundings, it was impossible to maintain a congregation in an area where dwellings had given way to offices and warehouses. It was therefore decided to sell the building and site at Falcon Square and to devote the purchase money to the building of a Church in a growing suburban district where no Congregational Church existed. As a result the site was purchased in Hindes Road, Harrow, and on Thursday, December 15th, 1910 the present Church Hall was opened.
(The First Hall - used as the first church)
It had been hoped that work to the Sanctuary would begin soon after the completion of the Church hall, but the outbreak of the First World War postponed any hope of further building. Thus, it wasn't until June 1929, when membership outgrew the existing hall, that the three foundation stones cut from the original foundation stone of Falcon Square Chapel, were formally laid. In little under a year the new Church was completed, the opening ceremony and dedication being on April 12th, 1930.
(Stone laying ceremony)
The Church has continued to flourish since this time, with the next major event being the unification of three local churches in 1975. In 1972 the United Reformed Church came into being, joining together many of the Presbyterian and Congregational Churches in England and Wales. In this part of Harrow, talks began between Hindes Road Congregational Church and the nearby Station Road Presbyterian Church (which had been established in the early 1900's by Scots living in north London) concerning union.
(Trinity Presbyterian / URC Church, Station Road)
The Methodist Church at Welldon Crescent also became involved in the negotiations and eventually the three churches agreed to unite "under one roof," the Inauguration Service being on Sunday 16th November 1975.
(Welldon Crescent Methodist Church)
From this union, the Church has developed as a "Local Ecumenical Partnership", enjoying the benefits of Methodist, Congregational and Presbyterian backgrounds in its worship and ministry. As such, there is one membership roll within Trinity, and the Church plays a full part in the wider work of both the United Reformed and Methodist Churches.
In 1992, the "Link" was built at the present site which joined the Church and Church Hall together, providing a new entrance and Church Office facility.
(New entrance to Link between the church and hall)
Since the 1990’s, Trinity has continued to grow in it’s outreach to the local community, culminating in a £2million complete rebuild of the hall and Link facilities in 2008-10 in order to provide a modern flexible site for its expanding future ministry.
(Trinity Church and new hall)